Friday, November 13, 2009

Update: The Good, The Bad, and The Weird

It's been awhile since I've updated. So here you go!

The Good:
The antibiotics are working wonders on my head and my infection.

When I am awake I'm feeling pretty darn good. My pain is quite a bit less than the original surgery (probably because I don't have much of an infection anymore).

Plus, my Grandma Harfst is here to take good care of me (some would say spoil) and drive me to my appointments when Erin is a work, school, or whatever.

The Bad:
The antibiotics make me tired and nauseous, it tastes SO bad and I've been sleeping for about 12 hours a day on average.

I got some of my stitches taken out today but somehow the scabs from my incision had grown over some of them. Getting those stitches taken out was quite painful.

The Weird:
I'm actually taking two antibiotics, one through a "hone catheter" or a central line through my neck, and the other is just a pill I take by mouth three times a day.

Right before I was going to get my stitches out I asked my doctor if I should be worried about a squishing noise that I heard when I would dry off my incision after a shower. He said not to be worried because it was probably just my brain squishing around behind my skin where the skull is missing (I guess that was supposed to make me feel better). However when the nurse began to take the stitches out he got to a certain point my head began leaking fluid like a dripping faucet. Erin ran and grabbed gauze for my head, Grandma ran and grabbed paper towels for my neck and hands that were getting leaked on. Ends up that I had two major sections of my head that were not healing but rather just holding fluid (so much for not worrying). They removed the stitches that they could and re-stitched the sections that were not healing pulling them even tighter (OUCH). And I also learned I'm going to have to keep taking the antibiotics for and extra week since my head hasn't been healing correctly.

If you have any questions comment, email, text, call!

Much Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment